Kadhi chawal is a delicacy from North India. It is a dish made from gram flour dumplings, cooked in Buttermilk & Besan / Gram flour.
As by its name kadhi is teamed up with steamed rice or pulao. I have served kadhi with peas pulao.
Here goes the recipe
Preparation time – 30 minutes | Serves – 4
- 200 ml Buttermilk ( 1 packet )
- 1cup besan / gram flour
- Salt to taste
- 4cups water
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
For dumplings ( pakoras )
- 1/2 cup besan
- A punch of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Beat besan with Buttermilk to a thin batter.,add 4cups of water.,add turmeric powder , salt, and boil it well.When done keep aside.This is the kadhi.
- Now mix all the ingredients if dumplings & prepare pakoras.
- Add these pakoras to the kadhi.
- Take oil in pan , put1/2 tsp jira, 1/2 tsp mustard seed , apunchof heeng, let it splutter then add 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder, & add this tempering to the kadhi.
- Add pakoras and bring kadhi to boil , keep it aside.
- Now it can be served hot with steamed rice or peas pulao.